Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Relaxing, Reading, Rays (sun rays, that is, not sting rays)

So, Where in the World was I? Cancun, Mexico (pictures are posted). A quick trip to Cancun is always a welcomed change. I needed a little sun to recharge the batteries before heading to Denmark. Part of me is a little worried about not getting my much-needed daily dose of Vitamin D while in DK. The weather was a perfect 85 degrees and sunny with a few lofty clouds rolling by every once in a while, and a nice breeze, too!

I've been to Cancun about 6 or 7 times, so I didn't do any of the typical tourist things like Chichen Itza (which is my favorite Maya ruin), Tulum, Xel-ha, Xcaret, Cozumel, etc. It was just a quick get away that included morning walks, reading, lounging, practicing my Spanish and also doing a French lesson each day. Before we head to Paris, I have to be able to speak a little French. So, the goal has been set!

I read quite a few books while on vacation, three of them are worthy of the blog. I also made my hour long trek on a ruta (local bus) to Sam's club and Wal-mart. I usually don't seek out these stores, but cheap Tequila and Rum and my favorite box of Bubbaloo were on the souvenier list.

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks was great! I've never read any of his books before, but I now have a list of some of his other works to read. The storyline centers around Travis Parker, who has everything; a great job, great friends, a house on the water, and has traveled the world. Enter Gabby Holland, his new neighbor. After a weekend of boating the journey begins. The question that persists is how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?

I also read two books by Mary Higgins Clark, a mystery-type novelist. A Stranger is Watching and The Cradle will Fall.

The author's synopis of A Stranger is Watching: Ronald Thompson knows he never killed Nina Peterson...yet in two days the state of Connecticut will take his life, having found him guilty via due process of law. But Thompson's death will not stop the pain and anger of Nina's husband, Steve.

The author's synopsis of The Cradle will Fall: A minor road accident landed county prosecutor Katie DeMaio in Westlake Hospital. That night, from her window, she thought she saw a man load a woman's body into the trunk of a car...or was it just a sleeping pill-induced nightmare?

After a quick trip to Cancun, I was in Chicago for about 24 hours, then back on a plane for Denmark. My tan is starting to fade, so I may just have to figure out how the solarium (tanning bed) works in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment