Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A trip to the doctor

Well, I successfully navigated the health system in Denmark.

I woke up this morning with an inkling I had a bladder infection. Given the last bout that landed me in a hospital for 3 very long days, I decided to assume it was an infection and make my way to the doctor's office. Denmark has socialized medicine, so when we arrived here we got a CPR (social security number) and assigned a doctor in our town. This morning (between 8-9), I called the number on my medical card, talked to the doctor, and got an appointment for the 11:30 slot. A quick 5 minute walk to the doctor's office, swipe my card, and then a 5 minute wait. I didn't have to fill out 10 forms or confirm billing addresses, pay copays, mother's maiden name...nothing.

I was in the doctor's office at 11:35 when he pulled out his chemistry set and tested my specimen (which I had to bring with me) on the counter, matched the dip stick to a color coding and confirmed my suspicion. Then, because of the last kidney infection, he pulled out a needle and drew some blood. Another quick test with his chemistry set and luckily it hadn't progressed to a blood infection. My prescription was emailed to the pharmacy (apotek) and by 12:15 I was well on my way to feeling better.

Not bad for my first encounter with the Danish Health System.

1 comment:

  1. I am forwarding Chuck's e-mail to everyone that I know.

    As you know I am a huge fan of public health care.

    And I just have to believe that one day historians will look back and judge societies on how well that they helped those who could not help themselves.

    I have to believe that the USA is failing terribly in this area.

    Thanks for the share,

    Jeffery James Romenesko

    ReplyDelete