Friday, November 11, 2011

Grand Canyon - Southern Rim

Our tour of the Southwest started at the Grand Canyon on the Southern Rim. I debated if we should travel west to the West Rim or if we should try to see the South Rim and the North Rim in the same day. As much as I wanted to go to the West Rim, I was turned off a bit by the cost (per person)...$43 for a legacy pass and another $30 for the Skywalk. This is not part of the National Park system and excluded from the annual pass.


In the end, we opted for just the South Rim, which costs $25 per car and is included in the National Parks Annual Pass.

We left Phoenix at the crack of dawn and after driving for 3.5 hours, arrived at the Grand Canyon Village. We parked the car in Lot B, which is a quick walk to the rim. In a word, WOW!

A few pictures...


Chuck looking for a 'special rock.' At the time I was thankful we had life insurance. Now, I'm thankful we didn't have to use it!

Chuck's a brave, brave, man. I was at least 6' from the edge at ALL times!

Can you see the zig-zag hiking trail in the shadow?

The view...

Someone was capturing the beauty on canvas. Lovely.

1 comment: