Thursday, July 16, 2009

Canals, gondolas, and tons of tourists

We successfully drove from Nuremberg, Germany to Venice, Italy. The drive to Nuremberg was horrific with a 6 hour drive taking just shy of 9 hours. I think every single owner of a pull-along camper was heading south on Friday night. Luckily, we left the traffic behind once we entered Austria.

It's hot in Venice. It's really hot. And, it's humid. I'm missing the lovely mild weather in Denmark with the nice breezes.

I arranged for a tour with Avventure Bellisimo tours on our 2nd day in Venice. It was a 2 hour walking tour, then a 3 hour break to explore on our own, followed by a 1 hour canal tour. The walking tour could have been great, but it fell far from my expectations. The only positive was that we were able to skip the queue at San Marco's bascilica. Our tour guide had a very thick Italian accent, which she over compensated by talking realllllly slowwwwwly. She also took us on some crazy paths that had no character nor provided for any interesting photographs. Maybe the other 2 groups (with different guides) had a better experience.

The canal tour portion, on the otherhand, was wonderful. Our tour guide knew so much about every single site, that she basically talked non-stop. I was on information overload, but that was a good thing!

We walked on the narrow pathways and on bridges over the canals (along with thousands of other tourists), ate gelato in some savory flavors, visited Murano and bought some art, visited lots of churches, piazzas, and several museums, and took many, many, many water taxis.

After the first night in Venice, my whole body had this little 'sway' to it. I think I was high on dramamine the entire time we were there. Perhaps, I should have rethought the visit...given my motion sickness!?!?!?!?

A few more pictures until the slideshow is posted.







No comments:

Post a Comment