Friday, September 10, 2010

ICE, ICE, baby

I was all prepared to rent a car in Hamburg and drive to Berlin, until my friend Tara suggested the ICE train, which she dubbed as super-easy. The ICE is the intercity express train and takes just over 1.5 hours, but a car ride can easily run 2 to 2.5 hours in good driving conditions and with little traffic.

So, I gave it a whirl. If I could only let go of my desire to be in control, I might be able to get into the train travel thing. Actually, it was quite nice, and I managed to read a few ebooks along the way (House Rules by Jodi Picoult, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig, and Irresistible Forces by Brenda Jackson...a free ebook and total chic romance).

I didn't have an opportunity to take a picture of the ICE, so here is a stock photo from online. The Hamburg train station (Hauptbahnhof) and Berlin train station (Hauptbahnhof) are below.



Tip: Book directly with www.bahn.de for the best rates and you can click on the USA flag to view it in English. If you book on other sites like www.raileurope.com expect to pay about 50% more for the ticket. It is a good idea to pay the extra 2.5Euro each way for an assigned seat especially if you are traveling during peak times or when the business men and women are commuting.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your friend must be super smart to have suggested the train.

    I can tell you that your super smart friend suggested the train to another visitor last weekend and the "other visitor" chose to drive anyways... and was stuck in traffic for five hours each way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend is SUPER smart. The ICE was a perfect way to travel to Berlin. I might have to do that more often :-)

    ReplyDelete