Thursday, October 18, 2012

North Carolina Coastal Cities

Last month, we spent a week in North Carolina.  The bulk of the time was spent in Raleigh, where hubs attended a conference.  I toured some of the surrounding towns and we managed to take a quick trip to the coast.

Our first stop was Wilmington and Carolina Beach.  Wilmington seemed to be a very industrial city and reminded me of Green Bay, Wisconsin.  The downtown area appears to be starting a 'comeback;' however, there is still room to grow.  After a quick walk on the boardwalk next to the Cape Fear River, we drove to Carolina Beach.   What a lovely area!  The sandy beach is great for walking...unlike Cancun beaches where each step results in sinking about 8 inches!  A few pictures from Carolina Beach...



 

We also made our way to OBX, the Outer Banks.  North Carolina has some wonderful beaches. I think I managed to find no fewer than 5 homes that I wanted to buy.  Homes on stilts with beautiful sand dunes and soft sand beaches are absolutely lovely.  Here are a few pictures from Nags Head, Kitty Hawk and Cape Hatteras National Park...





Sunset near Kitty Hawk

 Sunset near Kitty Hawk

 Nags Head beach

Sunrise in Kitty Hawk


 Sunrise from our hotel balcony in Kitty Hawk



2 comments:

  1. Portland, Maine... like where you drove after you left our house? COOL! :) Maybe I'll have to take my mom there. Your pictures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the cover photo is from Portland, Maine. It's about a 2 hour drive from your house. Stop at the wayside/info book as soon as you enter Maine. There are TONS of cute towns within 2 hours of your house. I'm already planning another trip :-)

    I'll hop to it and post the Portland stuff...although, it was waaaaay too short (3 hours).

    ReplyDelete